Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Tornado warnings for Christmas!

Christmas day the Schlo-Hards surrounded ourselves with food and family. The perfect day in my mind!

Breakfast
Blackberry lemon poppy seed scones, clotted cream, Three Peckered Billygoat espresso from Ravens Brew, cookie cups with cream topping... spending Christmas morning with the love of my life. Success. Tasty winning.


Beautiful platter from Italy via our dear friend Allegra


Cookie cups ready for topping

Day Baking and Grandma Harding's Pie
Never before have I attempted to make a chocolate meringue pie! With the helpful advice of my sister-in-law and the handy hands of John Darling we accomplished a great feat. 
A tornado warning occurred in the middle of our baking. I am going to assume that it was the quick change of barometric pressure made the meringue deflate from a towering four-five inches down to one inch! Next time I will try a few little tricks- open the oven while browning it, check the weather before baking, start making the chocolate way before whisking the eggs... it is the little things. 
I think it turned out beautifully. And tasty.

Grandma Harding's Chocolate Meringue Pie

Pecan Pie, Joy of Cooking

Pretty peaks :)
Dinner
Another first- making stuffing/dressing from scratch. 
I consulted with KSchlo and she gave me a rough outline of the ingredients. I dug out my big le Creuset (thank you Foots!) and dove right in.
Big bread chunks, bread crumbs, chicken stock, celery, mushrooms, onions, garlic, thyme, sage, sausage, white pepper. That is all. Stir, bake, eat. Delicious. 
John Darling and Rocco deep fried a turkey! YAY!



It was very windy. Tornado warning, remember?

Night-Cap
We closed the day by playing a favorite in our house- Scrabble. 
Filled with love, we reflected on yet another wonderful Christmas spent together. 
Four years and counting :)



All in all, it was a great day. 
Joy and love,
JSchloHard


No comments:

Post a Comment